Introducing our Healthy Chole recipe, a nutritious and flavourful twist on the classic Indian dish. Bursting with aromatic spices and hearty chickpeas, this wholesome recipe is designed to nourish both your body and your taste buds.
In this version, we’ve taken traditional chole and given it a healthy makeover, reducing the use of oil and incorporating nutrient-rich ingredients. The result is a dish that is light, yet satisfying, and packed with essential nutrients.
The combination of spices like cumin, coriander, and turmeric not only adds a delightful depth of flavour but also provides potential health benefits. Chickpeas, the star ingredient, are an excellent source of plant-based protein, fibre, and a range of essential minerals. They can help promote digestive health, support heart health, and provide a sustained release of energy.
Whether you’re looking for a delicious plant-based meal or simply want to incorporate more nutritious ingredients into your diet, this Healthy Chole recipe is a perfect choice. It’s a wholesome and satisfying dish that will leave you feeling nourished and satisfied. Let’s dive into the recipe and discover the joys of healthy eating!
Benefits of Cumin, Turmeric and Garam Masala
Cumin, turmeric, and garam masala are three key spices commonly used in Indian cuisine, and they bring not only incredible flavours but also a range of potential health benefits.
Cumin is known for its earthy and warm flavour. It contains antioxidants that may help reduce inflammation and support digestion. Additionally, cumin is a good source of iron, which is important for carrying oxygen throughout the body and maintaining energy levels.
Turmeric, often referred to as the “golden spice,” contains a compound called curcumin, which is known for its potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Curcumin has been studied for its potential to support brain health, reduce the risk of chronic diseases, and enhance the body’s natural defences.
Garam masala is a spice blend that typically includes cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, and other aromatic spices. Each spice in garam masala offers its own unique benefits. For example, cinnamon is known for its potential to help regulate blood sugar levels, while cloves have antimicrobial properties and can aid in digestion.
By incorporating these spices into your cooking, you not only enhance the flavours of your dishes but also add potential health benefits. Experimenting with different spice combinations can open up a world of culinary delights while providing you with a range of potential nutritional advantages.
Healthy Chole Recipe (Chickpea Curry):
- 1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight and cooked until tender
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 2 tomatoes, pureed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- Salt to taste
- Fresh cilantro leaves, chopped (for garnish)
This recipe makes approximately 4 servings
- Calories: 300-350 calories
- Carbohydrates: 45-50 grams
- Protein: 12-15 grams
- Fat: 8-10 grams
- Fiber: 12-15 grams
Please note that these values are estimates and may vary based on the specific ingredients and portion sizes used.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté until golden brown.
- Add the minced garlic and grated ginger to the pan. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato puree and cook for 5 minutes, until the raw smell disappears.
- Add the ground cumin, ground coriander, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and salt. Mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked chickpeas to the pan and mix until well coated with the spice mixture.
- Pour enough water to cover the chickpeas and bring the curry to a simmer. Cover the pan and let it cook for 20-25 minutes, until the flavors are well combined.
- Sprinkle garam masala over the curry and stir gently.
- Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro leaves before serving.
Serve the healthy chole with steamed rice or whole wheat roti for a delicious and nutritious meal. Enjoy!
This healthy Chole recipe offers a delightful combination of taste and nutrition. Packed with protein-rich chickpeas and a blend of aromatic spices like cumin, turmeric, and garam masala, it’s a satisfying and wholesome dish that will leave you feeling nourished and satisfied. The health benefits of the ingredients, such as improved digestion, antioxidant properties, and anti-inflammatory effects, make this recipe a great addition to your diet. Whether you’re a fan of Indian cuisine or looking to explore new flavours, this Chole recipe is sure to become a favourite. Enjoy the comforting flavours, embrace the nutritional goodness, and savour a delicious meal that supports your well-being.